ForAge Forum: Communicating with older people – role of the print media

• Communicating with older people – role of the print media

19.1.2014 08:56
    Hi I’m putting together a research proposal. My interest is in the role of the ‘seniors’ print media (print media targeted at older people) influence on seniors lifestyle choices especially health, volunteering and activity. Can you suggest experts in this or related fields I could talk to or can you suggest other contacts in Europe or elsewhere? Thanks and regards Frank Frank Smith Journalist – Have A Go News – Perth +61892997363 I aim to retire before I am 80
  • John Benyon jtb2@le.ac.uk
    27.1.2014 22:43
    Hello Frank. You have raised an interesting issue on which I feel quite ignorant. I will see if I can identify anyone who might be able to help you. With good wishes John B
  • 6.2.2014 09:40
    Frank, the subject is very interesting, I must admit that in Poland it is not very easy to find dedicated printed resources for seniors. On the other hand we have some local projects e.g. http://www.tvp.pl/krakow/magazyn-aktywni-60 which are available online. Would be very useful to share all findings we have done within ForAge.
  • 11.2.2014 22:51
    Encouraging Public Media To Enhance The Understanding Of The Lifelong Ageing Process, Older People And Their New Social Roles, Their Solidarity And Their Cooperation With Other Generations Than Theirs Tuesday 15th November 2011 Location: Slovenia The new National Strategy of Quality Ageing and Intergenerational Solidarity till 2020 (Slovenia) will possibly include new measures meant to support understanding, solidarity and cooperation between generations and the role of the public media in this respect. Media have an intergenerational educational role and so they can considerably contribute towards the amelioration of the image of old age, ageing, and cooperation among generations in the midst of our ageing societies. The way older people and their cooperation with younger generations are represented in the media is often the only source of information about older people. Thus, representations of older people in the media are constituent of the social definition and reproduction of old age, active ageing, and social ties among generations. But they can also be a source of younger generations’ reflection about how to deal with older people and what kind of relationship to have with them. Contrary to the media of some European states (France, Germany) older people are treated mostly as a special social group in Slovenian media. Therefore, they cannot be easily written about on the main pages of national newspapers and magazines, neither do they appear in radio and TV programmes with highest ratings which are not interested in what is ‘special’, etc. Encouraging Public Media To Enhance The Understanding Of The Lifelong Ageing Process, Older People And Their New Social Roles, Their Solidarity And Their Cooperation With Other Generations Than Theirs

Add reaction